5th Afghan Women Symposium
“Afghan Women, Responsible Citizens”
Kabul, May 7 – 9, 2018
The 5th Afghan Women Symposium took place in Kabul under the title of “Afghan Women, Responsible Citizens” from May 7 – 9, 2018.
The symposium provided the participants the opportunity to:
- Clarify what is citizenship, who is a responsible citizen, what are the rights and responsibilities of citizens as prescribed by the Afghan Constitution and by Islam
- Learn from the existing efforts of individuals or groups who already behave as responsible citizens
- Discuss the role women can play in the upbringing of good citizens
- Discuss the role of women in promoting social, environmental, and cultural interaction and tolerance among Afghans and eliminate all forms of discrimination in Afghanistan
- Understand the scope and goals of the government led-Citizen Charter and clarify the opportunities this program offers for women to become responsible citizens.
In light of the above objectives, participants agreed on the following resolutions and addressed them to citizens, government and the society in general:
- To have a sense of responsibility towards other fellow citizens, government, and the society.
- To respect each other’s values, ideas, and beliefs.
- To use social media responsibly in order to promote a culture of responsible citizenship.
- To actively participate in social-political ventures such as elections.
- To commit to fight against extremism.
- To respect the laws and rule of law in order to eliminate corruption, impunity and other legal violations.
- To implement and observe the Environmental Law.
- To actively engage in fight against discrimination at all levels.
- To design and draft the Anti-Discrimination Law.
- To support the 50/50 participation of women and men in the National Program of Citizen Charter.
- To strengthen the role of Ministry of Education and Ministry of Hajj and Religious Affairs in introducing the concept of responsible citizenship in the curriculum for kindergarten and schools; and for mosques and madrassas respectively.
- To review the role and responsibilities of the Ministry of Information and Culture in supporting and promoting responsible citizenship.
- To strengthen the role and duty of the media in education, public awareness and promotion of responsible citizenship.
- To implement and observe the Law on Rights and Privileges of the Persons with Disabilities in order to ensure social security of all citizens.
- To engage citizens in the formulation and implementation of national policies and strategies.
- To eliminate discrimination in the employment of citizens in governmental and non-governmental institutions and strengthen a merit-based system.
- To raise citizens’ awareness about efficient use of natural resources.
- To strengthen the monitoring of food and health products quality.
- To strengthen the role and responsibilities of the family and religious, educational, and media institutions in promoting the culture of peaceful co-existence.
- To maintain positive and respectful attitude towards women in security and defense forces.
- To strengthen the role of provincial councils and Jirgas in promoting responsible citizenship.
- To implement and observe the Wedding Law, the Anti-Harassment Law and other laws and regulations in order to circumvent unreasonable traditions.
- To cooperate with the municipality in order to maintain cleanliness and greenery in the city.
- To establish and sustain volunteer networks in social spaces such as schools, universities and student unions.
- To promote and strengthen public social works by community councils.